In just a few days, we will begin celebrating our entrance into 2014! I imagine the next year to be full of wonderful things, great and small for everyone. 2013 seemed to be a rough one for many people, so let’s embrace the fresh start that we are about to receive in the new year …The future is BRIGHT!
And it just so happens that National Wheat Bread month is in January! I deem it my job to keep you all up to speed with the healthier side of wheat, and so I will start off by giving a list of fantastic, organic, hybridized free bakeries across California, that I know and love. I plan on finding a national directory, and maybe even international, so please be patient with me as I continue my search! My hope is that you are able to locate one in your area and go check it out. Maybe one day we will all decide to only go to these local bakeries/bread makers and we will begin to have a greater appreciation for the healthier side of bread. Not only for ourselves, but for our family and friends!
If making your own bread isn’t a viable or time-honoring option, here are several bakers that I know and love in California area:
1. Jack Bezian of Bezian Breads in Los Angeles, http://www.bezianbakery.com/
2. Red Bread in Los Angeles, http://www.thebreadisred.com/
3. Grist and Toll — opening soon in Pasadena, http://gristandtoll.com/
4. Wild Flour Bread in Freestone, http://www.wildflourbread.com/
5. Morel’s Bread in Berkeley, http://www.morellsbread.com/Morells_Bread/Home.html
6. Acme Bread in San Francisco, http://acmebread.com/
7. A guide to eating well in CA — bakeries start on page 3, http://www.eatwellguide.org/localguides/ca_2_guide.pdf
Hope this helps! May you all have a happy and healthy New Year!!
This is a mouthful of a bread: Ready…Carrot Apple Kale Ginger Raisin Walnut Whole Wheat bread. Phew! I did it!